A dataset corrected, for ‘time’ bias of temperature, precipitation,
Palmer indices (drought, hydrological, modified drought, and Z. Data is monthly.
The bias is that measurements are not taken at the same time at all stations.
This can introduce a bias into the data. This data has been corrected for that
bias. Each climate division's monthly average was adjusted by weighting the bias
at any given hour by the fraction of stations within the climate division
observing at that hour, and subtracting the result for the reported monthly mean
1895-latest month available
- NCDC, 1994, Time Bias Corrected Divisional
Temperature-Precipitation-Drought Index. Documentation for dataset TD-9640.
Available from DBMB, NCDC, NOAA, Federal Building, 37 Battery Park Ave.
Asheville, NC 28801-2733. 12pp.
- Karl, Thomas R., Williams, Claude N., Young, Pamela J., and Wendland, Wayne
M. January 1986: A Model to Estimate the Time of Observation Bias Associated
With Monthly Mean Maximum, Minimum and Mean Temperatures for the United States,
Journal of Climate and Applied Meteorology.
- Heddinghause, Thomas R., and Sabol, Paul. 1991: A Review of the Palmer
Drought Severity Index and Where Do We Go From Here, Proceedings of the
Seventh Conference on Applied Climatology, pp. 242-246.
- Palmer Drought Index
- Palmer Hydrological Drought Index
- Palmer Modified Drought Index
- Z-Palmer Index (Anomalies)
- Data is in format of monthly averages, text format
This data is from the NCDC